Friday, July 02, 2010

Memories from Voice123: “Three Years Down: Then and Now”


I am pleased to write this a few days after the 3-year anniversary of Voice123’s SmartCast. I joined Voice123.com as a Quality Assurance Associate on July 2nd, 2007, five days before its release. I also write this today because July 9th,2007 was the official last day I had ever submitted an audition on Voice123 as a voice talent. It was my last...because it was the first time that I had a chance to witness the full scope of what takes place online, from start to finish. I want to share with you a list of some of the lessons I have learned after starting here:
  1. All voice over casting websites are not the same. They have different clients and technology, and a separate business plan must be applied for each one, depending on the interface of the buyer.
  2. Online auditions are not as subjective as offline auditions. You just do not have the face to face or verbal reassurance to remind you something is not working.
  3. Never take opinions and advice personally. The Internet is driven by opinions and trends. You need them. Learn from what is not working.
  4. News travels faster than ever before. So, things like honesty, integrity, and transparency are of the ultimate importance in a ‘net democracy’. In fact, without any physical or verbal reassurance, the demand is heightened.
  5. There are more voice over professionals online than ever before to compete with. You have to see that as a good thing. Advice from them cost thousands of dollars just 10-15 years ago.

Oh...and that audition I submitted? It was a job posted by a Voice123 voice talent, Perry Norton. After expressing interest in me, I wrote her to express that I worked here, and could not accept any work through the site. I felt bad for wasting her time. I was also shown quickly that maybe pre-2007, I should have tested the voice seeker interface to get a buyer’s perspective because knowing how to communicate online with the tools people are using is very important.

We are all part of a community of generous people who care about each others' success. The information to succeed is there. It may take time, but it will happen if positive, flexible effort is applied!

Thank You Always!



Voice123 - The Voice Marketplace

Steven Lowell
Community Manager
Voice123 Premium Forums
Voice123 Youtube Channel
Twitter: @voice123
Voice123 Meetups!

No comments: